Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Like A Shoe In A Dryer....

That has been me for the last year or so, clunking around in the world of small business...not quite sure of my place. I have recently realized (with Phil's help and a great book called Cure for the Common Life) that maybe my spot is really more HR (people) related and not small business operations. I should have recognized this when I first met with one of my professional mentors (a CFO) and explained my definition of cost at the store as "actual cost with a splash of overhead." Don't get me wrong...I don't regret working for free, nursing a baby while learning quickbooks and most importantly supporting Phil. It has been a journey. Some people say if your marriage can survive building a house, a marriage can survive anything. I'd like to change that to say, "working with your spouse". All components of small business are more complicated when you have to snuggle with your coworker/boss at night. Phil and I have grown closer than ever though, shared dreams, and have a greater appreciation for one another....and for that I'm so thankful! My time at the store has given me a new perspective on business profitability, management, and marketing...things I never learned in any of my business classes. So, with an AMAZING hire to run the store and increase services, I am free to pursue my HR passions. Upon Phil's urging (okay, constant nagging), I emailed the bank (my former employer of 8 years) one morning and by lunch I was talking with my old boss about projects and when I could start. This time around I feel much more free...I will be working on less time sensitive projects (that sound inspiring and impactful). No blackberry, no minimum hours for benefits. I'll be able to help people and keep my skills sharp in the meantime. I will work 9-4 two days a week there and 9-4 one day a week at the store. Helping customers at the store (my favorite job there) and serving as Catbert for our 9 employees. And, of course, still have lots of good time with my babies. I feel blessed. So blessed to have a husband that loves me and cares about my dreams. Blessed to be able to work a bit and be home with my little ones.

1 comment:

Holly said...

This sounds great! And having some 9-4 time is so nice huh? Not working around the clock and leaving work at work is a blessing!