Monday, June 23, 2008

A Weekend in The Big Easy

This is my first trip to New Orleans as an adult...a work trip really, but I was able to spend a little time soaking up that fun french-quarter culture. I loved the artsy spirit, the gorgeous architecture and fabulous music! When I wasn't in meetings, I spent time in a beautiful cathedral, praying(sort of a tradition of mine when I travel), window shopping, and just meandering along. I had no idea it was so humid there! One walk from my hotel to downtown and I looked like I could be on Good Times or Welcome Back Kotter! I was really glad I didn't pack the Chi and towards the end of the trip sort of loved my curly, crazy hair.

My favorite seafood are hush puppies, so I did not partake in raw oysters or craw fish heads. I did, however, eat a tasty mufalata in a 300 year old restaurant that used to be the governor's house and supposedly a refuge for Napoleon. Classical music, a beautiful courtyard and sweet tea... I can't think of a more relaxing lunch!

I had hoped to get to the fine arts museum, but just ran out of time. I had really hoped to do a lot more...catch up on kids blogs, get my email caught up, knit a blanket, create a plan for world peace...Why do I always think I can do a month's worth of work in 3 days!? Oh well! I did get lots of sleep...more sleep than I can remember on great linens, with feather pillows. I had time to exercise and got to pee by myself and had time to put on real eye make-up. BTW...Anna, I'd love to know your secret for a good smokey eye!? I also had time to read a new book by Max Lucado. A swell guy, I'm sure, but not my usual read. I must say...I feel as if that book was written just for me! With so much going on, I have struggled to find my sweet spot in life...the things I know that God has created just for me to do. And what I discovered was that he has made part of me just to give...give to my family, to friends and even to strangers. This is one thing that really brings me joy! A realization brought home in the TSA line in the NOLA airport. There I spotted a big eyed curly haired girl with a mask and a cancer shirt. I felt God nudging my heart to give her mother some extra cash I had from the trip. My joy, really. So I did and told her that we support St. Jude and I will be praying for them. And then trough the security line I went. Later, to my surprise, they found me and said thanks and I got to meet Hannah, who is 4, like my Addie. Here is her link:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/hannahtheriot

Will you pray for my new friend?

Wishing God's rich blessings on you!
Shan

No comments: